Wednesday, October 21, 2015

my oona poem


I found this un-marked, un-attributed poem after a coworker pulled it up to teach it in her class. I was astounded at how good her writing was -- not that I don't expect my coworkers to be good writers, but this poem really resonated with me. Then as I read more closely, several of the lines felt eerily familiar. I thought, "We have really similar writing styles."  I read through the poem again. Then I thought, "I think I've written some of these lines in a poem before." I googled the lines to figure out who the author was -- it didn't come up anywhere. Then I searched folders on my computer and realized that I wrote this. It's nice, sometimes, to be impressed by yourself, and I hope that doesn't sound too pompous -- I don't fancy myself much of a writer. It was a pleasant surprise. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sway of the flowers reassured her.
She could breathe here.
Surrounded by springing grass,
She made for herself a pillow
And let her sorrows flow away.

A light buzz was in the air,
The bees hummed, yes,
but too, the energy grew.

It was May.
The clues were everywhere.
No longer would this grief
intertwine with the tenacious sun,
a discordant existence
strangling her soul.

Breath after breath,
She took in fresh air,
and it filled her veins with hope.

She could begin anew.